Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Toronto Haul (part 2)

Matt and I decided to try Becker’s Bridal, after passing the shop on the street.

I called them up, made an appointment, and I tried booking appointments at The Dressroom, and Vogue Sposa as well, but The Dressroom was fully booked and I couldn’t find the contact for Vogue Sposa’s. Regardless, we came into Becker’s Bridal and the place was packed.

The selection looked nice, the saleswoman was pleasant and very respectful of my budget, and she even showed me what I could get off-the-rack at a sample sale, so I wouldn’t have to worry about time—because apparently I don’t have much of it. This is something I have been hearing a lot, everywhere I go

Salesperson: “Hello, welcome to X, When is your wedding?”

Me: “September”

Salesperson pauses and blinks “…Of this year?”

Me: Nod

Salesperson with wide, terrified eyes “Oh! Oh, my. You’ve got like, no time. You’re cutting it so close.”

It’s not even always in the greeting. I hear it after I leave some places and they know I am not interested in their gowns. I hear it in conversation; I hear it everywhere, all the time.

Yes, I know, five months is a definite no-no in the 6-8 month turnover time it takes to order a gown. Especially since I’m going away and I have to have it altered before I leave. But I just can’t seem to make a decision, and I don’t think it’s fair that I have to make one so soon.

Also, I didn’t like the gown selection for my price range and body type at Becker’s. It didn’t help that there was a cute Oriental girl next to me who looked beautiful in this ethereal, floral-inspired type of ball gown with material that flowed and moved so nicely when she walked. Her body looked fantastic in everything she tried on, where I look like a blob. Her friends were there, they were all so excited and happy and very into the experience. My friends were not.

Matt had to wait outside on the couch because ‘no men allowed’, and it sucked that this girl was so pretty and she had such good luck when my luck was not so great and none of my friends, not even Matt who was able to come shopping with me, was able to be there while I was trying things on.

Poor Matt had to sit out in the waiting room, bored out of his mind. I feel like I’m not getting as good of an experience as some of these other brides. I was happy for the girl next to me, and for all the other brides I see who find what they’re looking for.

I know I am fortunate because my friends are a lot better than the types of friends most other brides surround themselves with, but I can’t help but notice when I feel shortchanged and I really notice when I don’t look or feel beautiful, like I should for this one special day in my life. Looking beautiful on this one day, is a very important factor, and I really need to find something that makes me feel like a beautiful, happy bride.

I did get to go out a few times to show Matt some of the choices that the saleslady approved of. Matt just sat awkwardly, clenched a grin and gave me a meek “thumbs up” the two or three times I came out to show him how the gowns looked, but it was obvious that I just looked awful.

I thanked the woman as I was getting dressed and she stopped to have a quiet conversation with me. She told me that she knew what I was looking for, but if I wanted to stick in my price range, I wouldn’t be lucky there. She didn’t want to do the trick that most other saleswomen do, and show me gowns that would look bad, she showed me gowns that looked good, and she knows from experience, that being shown a beautiful gown that is out of your price range, is just torture, so she refused to go down that route. Instead, she told me to keep looking. She also suggested I go to a shop that carries designers I like, or to even walk over a few blocks to their sister store, The Dressroom, as they have more affordable items and a wider selection, so I’d be more likely to find something there.

She told me to go browse the gowns, even if we couldn’t get an appointment. She even called to see if they could squeeze me in, or if they had any cancellations, but again, no luck. She told me not to feel discouraged, and that I would find something soon and she wished me luck.

We walked over to Vogue Sposa’s as it was on the way to The Dressroom, and decided to just browse. We walked in; it was clean, empty and very nice. They were even able to let me try on some gowns. I chose two, and damn, were they ever beautiful.

Matt took a picture of me in the first gown, as the saleswoman told him that there were no pictures allowed. He kept the shot, but couldn’t get anymore. The two dresses I tried on were very similar to the two favorites I tried at Jealous Bridesmaids, but Matt, who was not there, finally saw what a nice gown looked like on me for the first time, and was smitten with the first choice.



The second gown I tried on was very similar to the lace one, but so, so beautiful. I loved both gowns, and I wished we could have taken a picture of the second gown so I could post the comparison. As we have it, I can only post the first candid shot as the saleswoman opened the curtains and revealed the first dress.

Vogue Sposa's--Matt's number one choice. on Twitpic

We left, and the woman noted the dresses for me. We walked, glowing about how nice these dresses were as we entered The Dressroom. This place was packed. Matt and I walked over and started going through dresses, and a woman walked over and had a conversation with us, when she found out my wedding was in September, she told me she would see if she could squeeze me in, even though I didn’t have an appointment. That was very nice of her, and totally unexpected. We got a bag full of colored clips, and we just clipped the dresses we wanted to try, and they would grab them and help me out when a room opened up.

The dresses weren’t so nice, but the woman who worked there was so informative. She gave me tips, and told me to be sure I bring the dress with me in a garment bag, instead of packing it in the suitcase for many reasons: un-iron able, un-steamable creases, mis-shaping, de-volumizing, lost luggage, torn beading, etc… And it costs less and is more reliable than shipping it overseas.

I tried on a unique gown with very cool crushed organza, but it just wasn’t right.

Matt, of course, waited outside in the waiting room. We weren’t allowed to snap pictures here, either, but the woman was very accommodating and said we could anyway.

smudged this picture accidentally, just in case Rod saw it.  on Twitpic

very cool texture on Twitpic

Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

I liked how the fabric gave the gown a unique edge. But after Vogue Sposa’s, we both knew that this was not even close to what would suit me. I told the girl that none of the dresses appealed. She understood, and told me not to worry, because I shouldn’t have to justify a dress. I should just know. In other words, if I don’t love it, it’s not the one. She also reminded me, yet again, to not wait too long as time is not in my favor and wished me luck in my endeavors.


I do like that we are moving closer towards the right direction, and that we didn’t have to deal with the mean and catty woman that I did have to deal with in many other situations, before. Hopefully this is a sign of positive things to come.

I think my next plan of attack is to either go to two more places that I have on my list, or just go back to Vogue Sposa’s and Jealous Bridesmaids with my MOHs and my mom and see which dress out of these two places, is the winner.

No comments: