Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Happiness in Haikus

Just a few days ago, I went out dress shopping with another fabulous MOH named Matt--we've been uber-tight since high school.

I first went to a remarkable place called Jealous Bridesmaids where I found several attractive options for fairly attractive prices (in the expensive bridal world, that is), and then I met Matt at another place called The Brides Project.

I'll write more and post pictures about it in a different post.

I'll just say that it didn't end too well.

Matt and I finished off our disappointed search with a trip to a non-pub restaurant, as we would rather talk than scream over the enthusiastic St. Patrick’s Day Party Patrons crawling the Pubs early in the evening.

We got into a nice talk, where I blurted out that I thought I was a bad individual because I couldn’t balance a social life as well as I used to.

I sighed as I mentioned how this wonderful, vibrant girl named Megan wrote this blog about her Maui wedding, and I have become obsessed with it, as it reminds me of how vibrant I once was and how involved I once was with all my close friends.

I still feel utterly devoted to all my stellar amigos but I feel as if I’m on a one-way admiration street and I’m just not worthy of praise, especially when I consider that somehow this Megan chick has managed to write a blog, keep a healthy relationship with her fiancĂ©/husband and still keep an active social life to the point where her friends care about her enough to help her out with every aspect of her wedding, planning parties and slaving over welcome bags, and even loving her so much that they would write haikus about her and her future husband.

This woman is inspirational to me, as I can't picture doing more than one of those things successfully, let alone all three (Maybe it's just me. I've never been very good at project-managing my own personal life... I am very tunnel-visioned outside of the "business" realm).

Anyway, I quickly shut up, because as I was dishing on my insecurities, I noticed something that broke my heart: Matt looked shamed, as if I had questioned what this friendship meant to him, which made me feel even more like a scum-bag who has not been good enough to her friends.

Not a day passes that I don't think about how fortunate I am to have been blessed with such amazing friends and family members... it's hard not to love everyone in my life.

We continued the conversation and I figured that the misunderstanding was passed and we solved the matter with a brief discussion that flooded into an entirely different discussion and was drowned by our excitement over gossiping about our own lives.

I thought that I had just spilled how I felt about being a sub-par individual and I thought that was the end of it… till just tonight, when I checked my new iPhone (which, have I mentioned, is fantastic?!? I am still in the honeymoon stage with it and I hope it lasts).

Only to find a text message from Matt saying that he wrote me a pair of haiku poems...

I was touched. I felt lousy, and then, I read them... and I melted like butter on a hot pan. Did I mention how lucky I am to have such amazing friends?!?

They were so good, I couldn't keep them to myself.

This is is what he wrote:


Diana and Rod,
Sitting in that age old tree;
Kissing forever.


The second,

"Hairs intertwine and make harmony for you"

Diana is blonde,
Yet loves Rod who has brown hair;
Opposites attract.


Brilliant and awesome! I should feel guilty for stealing the best individuals the world has ever seen and keeping them as my friends. I wish I could write a haiku that would be worthy of you, Matt.

No comments: